Monday, January 02, 2023

I see what's missing in your eyes: I'M THE GIRL.

I'm the GirlI'm the Girl by Courtney Summers
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

At sixteen, Georgia Avis has big dreams, but she's held back by a life of poverty. While walking alongside the road, she discovers the body of thirteen-year-old Ashley James, the daughter of the local sheriff. Georgia is hit by a car during everything, and her memories of the incident are jumbled. But she teams up with Ashley's older sister, Nora, to try to figure out what happened. All trails seem to lead to Aspera, a beautiful resort where Georgia's late mother once worked.

Ugh, I feel terrible as I love Courtney Summers, but this one just didn't work for me. Her writing is as lyrical and gorgeous as ever, but I didn't care for the plot, which dragged and had a lot of issues. I really enjoyed the writing in this book, that there was a queer relationship between Georgia and Nora, and that it featured a mystery to solve. The rest of it... not so much.

Unfortunately, the relationship between Nora and Georgia has no depth. It's thrown at us, but we see no development with them, or really any other characters in the book. I wanted to care about them--and everyone else--but it was hard. Georgia honestly came across as frustrating beyond words. Her decisions made me want to scream. Aspera--this strange, fancy resort--and its owners--loom over Georgia's life. She's obsessed with it, but we are never sure why, and her focus on working there is borderline insanity. So many of the problems in this book could have been avoided if everyone would have just been honest with each other from the beginning (including Georgia's family)--this is a huge pet peeve of mine in literature.

GIRL bills itself as a cautionary story about the power of the wealthy and the power males hold over women, but it adds nothing new. If it's focused on sexism and patriarchy, Georgia does not seem to want to fight those things--if anything, she lets things happen to her and spends a lot of time caring what the men around her think of her. Again-this just adds to the confusing angle of Georgia and Nora's relationship.

Overall, I had a hard time caring about any of the characters or the story here. It was confusing, seemed full of plot holes, and then, after everything, gave us a vague ending. So frustrating. 2 stars for me, but many others liked it more.

I received a copy of this book from Wednesday Books and Netgalley in return for an unbiased review.



View all my reviews

No comments: