Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Keep the light still on inside and watch it through to sunrise: NEARLYWED.

NearlywedNearlywed by Nicolas DiDomizio
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I picked this up for Pride Month, I was looking forward to a fun, cheesy romance, but NEARLYWED is not really a romance. It's more a story of looking inward at relationships, filled with a lot of thinking and talking about love and connections. For a while, it feels like nothing much happens in the book, as our main character, Ray, pontificates about his past and present liaisons, overthinks everything, and tends toward the dramatic.

In his defense, Ray cannot fully help it: he grew up steeped in his parents' love story, dreaming of having an "earlymoon" (pre-wedding honeymoon) at the same beautiful New England resort his mom and dad did, and memorizing every aspect of their wedding album. He's a hopeless romantic used to sharing his entire life online as a reporter in the digital age. His older husband-to-be, Kip, however, came out late in late, and is a reticent doctor. (Also, can I just say, that I constantly thought Ray was Kip because Ray is the older sounding name?)

Now they're finally on their earlymoon, but things go awry quickly when they both run into people they know (wow, what a coincidence!!) and Ray wonders if Kip is truly ready to be an out, married man and Kip feels as if Ray is pushing him to share too much, too fast, with the world.

The story covers some truly important messages about being gay, being seen, coming out on your own terms--all of which are great. I found myself incredibly frustrated by Kip dragging his feet at fully acknowledging his relationship with Ray, even though I could understand his reasoning. DiDomizio does a good job of showing both sides of the relationship. Still, I found so much of the thinking and and wondering and talking about their relationship too much: I wanted something to happen. The last 10% or so of the story redeemed this to a 3-star read, but I could have done without so much of the earlier bitterness and angst.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Sourcebooks Casablanca in return for an unbiased review.

View all my reviews

No comments: