Tuesday, August 06, 2024

You come regular like seasons shadowing my dreams: THE PAIRING.

The PairingThe Pairing by Casey McQuiston
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

So much food and wine talk

I love Casey McQuiston, but I have to admit that THE PAIRING was not for me. Others will enjoy it more, so take my review as such. Theo and Kit are childhood best friends and former lovers. After a terrible fight and subsequent breakup on the way to vacation in Europe, they have each forged their own lives: Theo in the U.S.; Kit in Paris. But they encounter one another four years later... using the non-refundable trip voucher for the European tour they were about to take when they split.

There's a lot of great things about THE PAIRING, particularly it's bisexual characters and the book's frank look at sexuality, queer love, gender norms, and gender fluidity. There's also just so much damn description. If you want endless talk about food and wine and the European countryside, you'll love THE PAIRING. If you are looking for some actual plot or forward momentum, you're less in luck.

I found myself skimming over more talk of wine pairings, as I just could.not.take.it.anymore. I get that there was a whole "vibe" for this story, but it was not one I enjoyed. I wanted to hear more about Theo and Kit, their past, and see them interacting in the present.

The two make a pact to see who can sleep with the most people on the trip, while ignoring their own chemistry. It takes a while to even get to this point, with so much lead up (have I mentioned the wine?). All the description makes it difficult to care for Kit and Theo as a couple, especially since most of their romance occurs before this story starts. Many of the side characters have little depth, serving just to act as a foil in the one night stand competition, and everyone seems young and ready to eat and party. There's no differentiation or room for anything else. A side plot with Theo's family being wealthy and famous seems unnecessary and irritating.

Theo and Kit's sexual tension and escapades are fun, albeit somewhat repetitive, much like the endless food and wine. I preferred the focus on gender positivity and Theo feeling comfortable in their body. In the end, though, I never found myself wanting to read this book, and often flipped rapidly through scenes. Hopefully others more into the European bacchanal style will enjoy it. 2.5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and St. Martin's Griffin in return for an unbiased review. Look for THE PAIRING on August 6th, 2024!

View all my reviews

No comments: