Monday, April 03, 2023

Let your waves crash down on me and take me away: THE SOULMATE.

The SoulmateThe Soulmate by Sally Hepworth
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Gabe and Pippa are trying to start over in a new place, but unfortunately their new house is located at The Drop, an infamous place for people to jump off the cliffs to take their own lives. Gabe, however, has managed to talk several people off The Drop and save them. But one evening, Pippa spots a woman at The Drop. Gabe goes out to talk to her, but the next thing Pippa sees, Gabe is standing at the edge, and the woman is gone. Soon she realizes Gabe knew the woman. As questions start to mount, Pippa wonders if her beloved husband pushed her...

This is a fast read about marriage and murder! It was a good read, though I never felt fully invested. There's no one character you truly want to root for and the story is a bit strange, involving mental health issues, marriage problems, angry coworkers, illegal business dealings, and more. The book constantly flashes between then and now, with flashbacks to Pippa's tumultuous marriage with Gabe. There is also a POV from the victim, as she resides in the "liminal space." Some of the time switches are very abrupt, so it was hard to keep up at times. I am also not sure that THE SOULMATE always portrayed mental health in the best light. Its treatment left me feeling a little... off.

There are definitely some good twists in this one, and I flew through it. If you love dark thrillers that explore relationships, you'll enjoy THE SOULMATE. 3.5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and St. Martin's Press in return for an unbiased review.

View all my reviews

No comments: