Sunday, November 19, 2023

Ode to the girls who don't marry well: VLADIMIR.

VladimirVladimir by Julia May Jonas
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Sometimes I think a book is just too intelligent for me, and VLADIMIR is one of those. This book might have made more sense if discussed in a group, or dissected in class, but when I read it alone, I just wanted it to be over. I did not find our unnamed protagonist, a professor in her fifties, to be either likable nor nuanced. Her husband, John, heads the English department at their small college, but is swept up in scandal. He's been accused of sleeping with several of his students. Our professor finds herself unnaturally focused on a new, younger professor Vladimir. She shares, ad nauseum, her inappropriate thoughts about him, while focusing on all the things she hates about herself. She also hates John, and their marriage, and it seems, many of her students, Vladimir's wife, eating properly, and much more.

VLADIMIR seems like it's saying a lot of smart things about society, academia, feminism, and more. I think a lot of it went over my head. I didn't enjoy the plot and while it has some sort of crazy twist, it felt forced and unbelievable. This one was not my cup of tea. 2.5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments: