Tuesday, November 21, 2023

With a heart of gold and arms to fall into: IRIS KELLY DOESN'T DATE.

Iris Kelly Doesn't Date (Bright Falls, #3)Iris Kelly Doesn't Date by Ashley Herring Blake
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Not much makes me happier than an Ashley Herring Blake book, whether it's one of her lovely YA reads, or a gorgeous romance from the Bright Falls series. This is the the third (and final) book from Bright Falls, though each book stands alone. This time we get Iris' story--tough, independent Iris, who is scared to find real love after being hurt, so she focuses on one-night stands and being the fun, flirty Iris that everyone loves. Meanwhile, Stevie suffers from anxiety disorder and spent six years dating her close friend Adri because she was too scared to be on her own. Now that Stevie and Adri are broken up, Stevie knows she has to get out and meet someone. She and Iris endure a disastrous one-night stand. They never expect to see each other again, until Iris turns up at auditions for Much Ado About Nothing, directed by Adri and starring Stevie. Imagine Iris' shock when Stevie's friends think the two are dating...

This is a totally adorable and charming fake dating tale! It weaves in all our favorite Bright Falls characters (but again, stands alone) while introducing Stevie and her friends, including the rather uptight Adri, Stevie's watchful non-binary friend Ren, and their friend (and Adri's new gf) Vanessa. What I love about the Bright Falls series is the pure abundance of queerness everywhere. How nice to read a story that could be me and my friends: our jokes, our bars, our lives. Herring Blake captures it all so perfectly.

I adored Stevie. I'm a sucker for a character with anxiety (my friend!) and of course, I loved Iris, even if I wanted to shake her and tell her to stop being so stubborn! There are some great literary references tossed in and lots of fun with the MUCH ADO plot. While Stevie and Iris may not have as much banter as some, they have fabulous chemistry, and this is a really sexy, enjoyable read. It gives us some great messages about friendship and learning to overcome fears and being strong on your own. I loved all the queer rep and references to theater and books. Another winner from AHB! 4.5 stars.


View all my reviews

No comments: