Tuesday, November 14, 2023

You're always my destination: HOOK SHOT.

Hook Shot (Hoops, #3)Hook Shot by Kennedy Ryan
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Kenan is dealing with a messy divorce, an ex-wife out for revenge, and a teenage daughter who wants nothing more than her parents to get back together. Lotus is busy with her fashion career, but comes up short when emotional and sexual trauma from her childhood affect her present-day relationships. Still, she can't help but be drawn to Kenan, a handsome and kind basketball player. As for Kenan, he's head over heels for Lotus, even if she's 11 years his junior.

I'm a fan of Kennedy Ryan's Hoops series (this is the third and final book), because I adore basketball. This book is related to the others (Kenan plays hoops with August; Lotus is Iris' cousin, and Banner is Kenan's agent), but can easily be read as a standalone. I will say that when you read the books closer together, they do feel a bit more formulaic. But overall, I enjoyed this one. As I said, I loved the basketball angle, with Kenan as the player, and seeing glimpses of his teammate August, who we know from other books. There's a good tie back to Lotus and Iris' childhood and New Orleans roots, too.

As with all the other books from this series, Kenan is a really, really good guy, but a bit possessive. This is the straight-up formula for Hoops. Please be aware the book covers sensitive topics like child sexual abuse and there's a trigger warning for suicide. The story felt just a tad bit long for me--it could have been shortened just a little. But it's sexy and fun, with great banter and strong chemistry between Lotus and Kenan. It tackles a serious topics while still giving us a flirty read. 3.5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and SOURCEBOOKS Bloom Books in return for an unbiased review.

View all my reviews

No comments: