Thursday, September 26, 2024

And I have scars that you can't read: ENOUGH ALREADY.

Enough Already: Learning to Love the Way I Am TodayEnough Already: Learning to Love the Way I Am Today by Valerie Bertinelli
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I know very little about Valerie Bertinelli, with the most of my exposure coming from the Kid's Baking Championship. I can't remember why I grabbed this book, honestly, but I read it as part of my own "read your shelves" challenge.

In ENOUGH ALREADY, Bertinelli says "enough already" to dieting, putting her past hawking Jenny Craig behind her, apologizing for pushing weight loss on her public. She's focusing on inner happiness now, working with a mind coach to discover self-joy and sharing her tips with her readers.

It still feels like Bertinelli's weight thoughts are the focal point of her book, though, and while I understand that she's attempting to right past wrongs and love herself as is, the "I need to lose those last 10 lbs" desire gets to be too much after a while. It's suffocating when everything is brought back to the need to lose weight and makes Bertinelli's pivot to happiness at any weight ring a bit hollow.

Where the book shines is anywhere else. Bertinelli's memories of her ex-husband, Eddie Van Halen; interactions with their son, Wolfie; sharing recollections and recipes. She ties many of her recipes to memories and discusses food that she remembers from her childhood to cooking for Eddie to recipes made on her Food Network show. The talk of how food has brought together her various families over the years is fun.

Bertinelli touches on grief, with the recent loss of her parents and her ex-husband. I don't think we get full honesty, but she definitely shares a lot of herself. She seems like an over-protective mom and regular, relatable person many times. Other times, she tries to be "just like us," but--like many celebrity memoirs--it's hard to take advice from someone with a happiness coach who is renovating two homes, etc.

This is a quick read but the focus on weight bogged it down for me. The personal stories and recipes made for worthwhile reading, though.

View all my reviews

No comments: